Thursday, October 30, 2008

Okay, Fair Enough...

When I'm (mostly) wrong, I'm (mostly) wrong. It seems that what Google has, while indeed being incompatible with OpenID 1.x is (mostly) compatible with OpenID 2.0. Thanks to those who pointed this out.

That said, if I "have an axe to grind", it's largely because I spent a good deal of the last year listening to folks like Eric Chu from Google spouting idiocies like "open source projects can't be relied on to ship according to schedule" while standing in front of a whole bunch of GNOME folks (which, of course, ships every six months like clockwork) and "current open source projects are too desktop-oriented" (which is simply nonsense) as justification for reinventing more wheels than I care to count with Android. It gets tiresome.

I'll look forward to seeing both Robert and Leslie participating in the GNOME Foundation Advisory Board; they know I'm an opinionated bastard, and they won't hold it against me...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is somewhat ironic that you write this on a Blogger account, no? Blogger already has OpenID running perfectly.

Lefty said...

I think it's ironic that Blogger gets it right while Google gets it kind of wrong.

If you're saying that it's ironic that I'm ragging on Google on a Blogspot account, no, I don't agree. Should I give Google a pass on everything they do simply because I chose to blog using a service they acquired...?

I didn't think it was ironic to complain about what a bunch of buffoons Six Apart are on Livejournal, either. Maybe it's a lack of imagination on my part.

Anonymous said...

Just because someone releases some software at a scheduled time doesn't mean that that software was ready to be released. One need only look at the PulseAudio fiasco for a recent example.